Dynamic Remarketing vs Static Display Remarketing
A common question that advertisers ask me is how do I differentiate the strategy between a DRM and Static(standard banners) Display Remarketing campaigns. Since both are remarketing channels, wouldn’t they act as deterrents to each other if run in parallel. Here we need to understand the basic idea of Static Remarketing.
At a very broad level, this is how I would differentiate between the core strategies between them:
|Campaign Parameters||DRM||Static GDN Remarketing|
|Audience Persona||Product Viewers, Cart Abandoners, Past Buyers||Home Page Visitors, High Session Time users, Category page viewers, High page depth users, In-Active Customers|
|Ad content||Product Ads||Sale or Category banners, Festive Offers, Fresh Arrivals etc.|
|Audience membership windows||Last 1 day to last 30 day visitors with strategic cohorts||Going beyond the last 30 visitors to last 180/360/540 day visitors|
|Creative messaging||Personalized based on Site action like Cart Abandonment, Past Purchase via offer codes, sale preview etc.||Personalized based on Category visited, new collections etc.|
Dynamic Remarketing is a very personalised channel and hence works effectively for more recent users who are closer to the funnel. Static remarketing on the other hand can be used to carry your marketing conversations with a larger user pool.
Static remarketing strategies can be focused towards the following:
- Getting Purchasers from previous season sales.
- Reminding your most loyal customers about fresh arrivals or new/exclusive brand launches.
- For the customers that love your catalog, cross-sell them your best deals. If you think a certain red t-shirt goes well with a blue slim fit jeans, communicate the story.
- Following up on your Youtube video viewers (who haven’t visited your website) with the dynamic Lightbox catalog of fast-moving products.
- Reaching out to your intent based bounced audience differently.
- Reach your registered users with better messaging.
There are a plethora of such strategies that advertisers should experiment with based on their objectives. It depends a lot on what you expect from the campaign! Keep experimenting.
In case you want us to do a quick audit on why your remarketing isn’t giving you the right ROI, reach out to us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for a Free Feed Audit of your Google Feed: